Committed to Knowledge Sharing

We seek to empower our Clients and Industry Affiliates.

We have brought together key quick links and a series of frequently asked questions to encourage considered and well-informed Planning Applications.

Quick Links - Useful Information

Planning Victoria

Planning Schemes Online

Planning Property Reports

VCAT Case Law Search Tool (Austlii)

Planning Matters (Subscribe here)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Do I need a Planning Permit?

A number of factors must be considered before it can be determined whether a Planning Permit may be required, including and not necessarily limited to:

  • The planning controls affecting the land
  • The existing use and development
  • The proposed use and development
  • Whether a Planning Permit has previously been issued
  • Whether or not there are any restrictions on title

To determine whether you require a planning permit - or not, simply contact us for a non-obligation confidential discussion.

Title Search: How to?

Every Planning Application must be accompanied by a current certificate of title.

Whilst Town Planning & Co offer the service of Title Search, should you wish to order a Certificate of Tile for land that you own, you can do so via:

Need assistance in navigating your way through the process? Contact us and we’d be happy to assist.

Typical Application Requirements

As the Application Requirements will vary from municipality to municipality, Town Planning & Co are well equipped to advise of the Application Requirements specific to your Application.

At the time of quoting a new planning project, Town Planning & Co will confirm the relevant Application Requirements specific to the proposal and the relevant planning controls affecting the land.

As a guide, we provide an overview of the typical Application Requirements land use and development projects, in addition to a written Town Planning Response prepared by Town Planning & Co.

  • Application Form
  • Application Fee
  • Certificate of Title
  • Feature Survey with levels to Australian Height Datum (AHD)
  • Development Plans prepared to a professional standard
  • External Material and Colour Schedule
  • Landscape Plan
  • Arborist Report
  • Native Vegetation Biodiversity Impact Assessment, where native vegetation removal is proposed on lots greater than 0.4 ha
  • Operation Statement, where a change of ‘use’ is proposed
  • Statement of Patron Capacity and Red Line Plan, where a licensed premises is proposed
  • Car Parking Demand Assessment, where consideration of the relevant Car Parking provisions are required
  • Landslip susceptibility and risk assessment, where the site is affected by Erosion Management Overlay, or located in an area as moderate or high landslip susceptibility
  • Bushfire Management Statement, where the site is affected by Bushfire Management Overlay. Notably, Town Planning & Co has an established relationship with the Country Fire Authority (CFA) and is well equipped to prepared Bushfire Management Statements to the satisfaction of CFA and Council
  • Cultural Heritage Management Plan, where the land is located in an area of aboriginal cultural heritage sensitivity

Any questions about the relevant Application Requirements for your project?
We invite you to Contact us and we’d be happy to assist.

Statutory Planning Application Fees

Statutory Application Fees are governed by the Victorian Planning Regulations which change from time to time.

Application Fees are determined based on the nature of the Planning Application and the estimated cost of development (works). Where an Application proposed both use and development, the Application will typically attract more than one fee with the lesser fee calculated at 50%.

The current Statutory Application Fees can be accessed via:

Need assistance in calculating the estimated Application Fee for your project? Contact us and we’d be happy to assist.

Other fees that may be payable to Council prior to lodgement or throughout the planning application process include, not limited to:

  • Metropolitan Planning Levy
  • Secondary Consent Application Fee
  • Advertising Fees
  • Landscape Levy
  • Public Open Space Contributions

Do I need a Cultural Heritage Management Plan (CHMP)

Before starting any development activities it's important you understand if it could affect Aboriginal cultural heritage. That way, your development can proceed smoothly, regardless of whether Aboriginal objects are found or not, without costly interruptions.

What is a Cultural Heritage Management Plan?

A Cultural Heritage Management Plan (CHMP) is a written report prepared by a Heritage Advisor. It contains results of an assessment of the potential impact of a proposed activity on Aboriginal cultural heritage. It outlines measures to be taken before, during and after an activity in order to manage and protect Aboriginal cultural heritage in the activity area.

When is a CHMP required?

A CHMP is required when high impact activities are planned in an area of cultural heritage sensitivity, as defined by the Aboriginal Heritage Regulations. In such an area, planning permits, licences and work authorities can't be issued unless a CHMP has been approved for the activity.

How do I get a CHMP?

If your proposed development is a high impact activity a Heritage Adviser will need to prepare the CHMP on your behalf. As well as the costs of the adviser, fees are paid to the organisation who approves the CHMP (the Registered Aboriginal Party (RAP) for the area or Aboriginal Victoria if none exists.


Contact us to discuss your vision and to confirm whether or not a CHMP may be required for your proposed land use or development.

Do I need a Liquor Licence?

The short answer is if you intend to sell or offer liquor from your premises, you will need a liquor licence.

We recommend you watch the short video on VCGLR website to determine which type of licence is best suited to your needs:

Town Planning & Co. are well versed with the Victoria Liquor Regulations and would be pleased to assist with any liquor licence enquires you may have.

Contact us to discuss your vision and to seek a fee estimate for our town planning consultancy services.

Can I Subdivide my land?

There are many factors that influence the development potential of land, with the planning controls being the critical consideration in the first instance.

Let’s start with the basics:

  1. What planning controls affect the site?
  2. What are the planning controls saying?
  3. Does the site respond to the minimum requirements in terms of lot size and dimensions?
  4. Is there any other Strategic Document to be considered (i.e. Housing Strategy)?
  5. Is there any restrictive covenants on the land restricting development?

Let’s face it, it’s not all that simple to determine the development potential of our land unless you are familiar with the planning provisions and local context.

Contact us and we’d be happy to discuss the development potential of your Site.

What is the Green Wedge?

The non-urban areas of metropolitan Melbourne that lie outside the Urban Growth Boundary are known as green wedges. There are 12 designated green wedge areas across 17 municipalities which form a ring around the city.

The use and appearance of land in each green wedge area is unique. The landscape ranges from the Mornington Peninsula coastline, to the open basalt plains of the west, to the highly scenic countryside of the Yarra Valley.

Green wedge areas contain a mix of agriculture and low-density activities such as:

  • major infrastructure that supports urban areas, including:
  • Melbourne and Moorabbin airports
  • the western and eastern water treatment facilities
  • major quarries used in the building industry
  • cultural heritage sites
  • biodiversity conservation areas
  • water catchments

About one third of the total green wedge area is public land, including national parks, other parks, reserves, and closed protected water catchments.


Contact us to discuss your vision and to seek a fee estimate for our town planning consultancy services.

What is a Bushfire Management Statement?

A Bushfire Management Statement is a written document that responds to the Application Requirements of Clause 44.06 – Bushfire Management Overlay.

The Statement assessed the site context in relation to the immediate and wider bushfire hazard as appropriate, and makes recommendations with respect to:

  • Construction standards (BAL rating)
  • Onsite Defendable Space location
  • Vegetation Management Requirements
  • Access Requirements
  • Provision of onsite static water supply, and fire hydrants where appropriate

Town Planning & Co. are well equipped to prepare a Bushfire Management Statement to respond to your development project. Contact us to discuss your vision and to seek a fee estimate for our bushfire consultancy services.

Planning Workshops & Information Sessions

On offer are a range of workshops and information sessions tailored to the Real Estate and Development Industry.

Town Planning & Co will tailor presentations to your Agency needs, responding to the existing knowledge levels and exposure to the Planning system within your team. We will work with you to ensure that our content responds to local context and answers the ‘common planning related questions’ raised within your office.

If you’re looking to enhance your understanding of the Victorian Planning Provisions or learn how to mitigate risk throughout the sales and marketing campaign, please get in touch to learn more about the sessions on offer.

We invite you to subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe here for our Newsletter.